Baltimore Criminal Defense Attorneys
Reliable Criminal Defense Attorneys in Baltimore
Murphy, Falcon & Murphy’s criminal defense practice has handled some of the most complex and high-profile white-collar cases in the nation. Our lawyers have extensive experience in handling financial, regulatory, and corporate governance issues. Our firm as a whole has an excellent track record in defending white-collar crimes and have the experience necessary to win your case.
If you’re in search for a criminal defense lawyer, trust in our lawyers. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
What to Do After Police Charges You With a Crime
If the police have charged you with a crime, it is crucial that you seek the help of an experienced Baltimore criminal defense lawyer immediately. The hours that follow an arrest can have an enormous impact on your case, so the sooner you find legal representation, the better.
After the arrest, the prosecutor will decide whether to file charges against you. If the prosecution decides to file charges, you must appear in court. The prosecution must determine whether to file charges within 48 hours of arrest.
Do Not Make a Statement to Police
Police will question you, but it is wise to wait until your lawyer is present to speak. You do not have to give the police information and should exercise your right to remain silent. Ask immediately for a lawyer to guide you through this process. Do not say anything without the permission of that lawyer.
If you confess to a crime or give information pertaining to a crime, the information can be admissible in court. Many people believe that if they are innocent of charges against them, there will be no harm in talking with police, but this isn’t necessarily true. You may inadvertently say something the police may use against you further down the road. Do not, under any circumstances, talk with police without your lawyer present.
How to Find a Criminal Defense Lawyer
Choosing a professional criminal defense lawyer can be one of the most important decisions of your life. Before choosing a lawyer, it’s important to ask around for recommendations. Good law firms will have made a name for themselves in the field. When choosing a defense lawyer, it is important to look for a few different traits.
Jury Trial Experience
Be sure that you hire a Baltimore defense lawyer that has jury trial experience. Surprisingly, many lawyers have never handled a jury trial. All of the criminal defense lawyers at Murphy, Falcon & Murphy have jury trial experience and understand the complexities of handling a jury.
A reliable, professional criminal defense attorney will not make false promises. They will not promise results or give opinions before they have investigated the case for themselves. Ethical lawyers will be honest with you about your case and outline your rights. Steer clear of lawyers who are adamant about limiting your legal options without thoroughly exploring them with you.
Criminal defense lawyers and their firms will always have a reputation. Research them online to search for complaints, reviews, and news articles. Choose only the ones who have positive reviews and reputable case histories.
Common Criminal Law Questions
It’s natural to have questions regarding your case if you’ve been arrested by Baltimore police for a crime, whether you committed the crime or not. Murphy, Falcon & Murphy offers free case evaluations to criminal defendants, so you can get timely answers to your most pressing questions without cost or obligation. In the meantime, here are a few of our most frequently asked criminal law questions, answered:
- What do I say to police? It is in your best interests not to say anything to police officers, other than to politely decline to answer any questions or talk until you have an attorney present. Simply let the officer know you need to contact your lawyer. The police can and will use anything you say against you in court. Instead of running the risk of incriminating yourself, don’t talk until you’ve first contacted an attorney.
- Was my arrest lawful? Let us investigate your case so we can better answer this question. We may find signs of an unlawful or unfounded arrest, such as lack of probable cause or evidence to believe you committed a crime. If the officer didn’t have probable cause, didn’t read you your Miranda rights, or didn’t have a warrant, the arrest might not be lawful.
- What can I expect from arraignment? The arraignment is your first court date after arrest. Your Baltimore accident attorney will receive the official complaint of charges against you at the arraignment, as well as copies of police reports. You may have the opportunity to argue for bail at this time.
- What about the preliminary hearing? You will wait for your preliminary hearing either in a holding cell or at home on bail. At this hearing, your attorney can dispute the charges against you and find holes in the prosecution’s case. The judge will determine if enough evidence exists to hold you for trial.
- How can I prepare for court? If your criminal case goes to court, hire a lawyer to represent you. A lawyer from Murphy, Flacon & Murphy can help you enter the courtroom with confidence, as well as create a strong defense strategy for the best possible case outcome. Your attorney can also walk you through the steps of a typical criminal trial.
Call (410) 951-8744 as soon as you can after arrest to get answers to your criminal law questions. We’ll discuss your arrest and future with you for free during your initial case evaluation. Our lawyers will aggressively defend your rights from your very first phone call to our firm, whether it’s from jail or from a family member on your behalf. Our consultations are always 100% confidential.
Do You Need a Criminal Defense Attorney?
Your liberty is at stake when you receive criminal charges in Baltimore. A defense attorney from Murphy, Falcon & Murphy could be the only person standing between you and a conviction. If a conviction is inevitable, your lawyer can argue your charges and penalties down, using strategies such as a plea deal to help you avoid serious long-term consequences. When everyone else seems against you, your lawyer will do whatever is in your best interests.
You won’t have to worry about the fate of your case with one of our lawyers in your corner. Our attorneys truly care about what happens to their clients. We’ll do whatever we can to ensure you get a fair trial and a chance at defending yourself. Our lawyers can help you understand the nature and nuances of the charges against you, possible defenses, plea deal options, what you should expect during trial, and more. Contact us today for your free consultation.
Why Choose Murphy, Falcon & Murphy?
Our firm has had decades of success working in the criminal defense field in Baltimore. Our lawyers know the criminal justice system forward and backward. Judge Billy Murphy, who has nearly 50 years of trial work and a record that is virtually unmatched for wins, leads our criminal defense efforts.
If the police have arrested you for a crime, call Murphy, Falcon & Murphy for a free case evaluation. We will help you look at your case, legal options, and give you recommendations based on our unique experiences. When we take your case, we treat you with compassion. Our job is to research every aspect of your case to ensure you receive utmost care and support in your time of need.