Andrew K. O’Connell
Andrew K. O’Connell
PRACTICE AREA(S): CIVIL LITIGATION, GENERAL CORPORATE LITIGATION, PARTNERSHIP DISPUTES, CONSTRUCTION DEFECT CLAIMS, REAL ESTATE LITIGATION, PERSONAL INJURY CLAIMS, CIVIL RIGHTS CLAIMS, WRONGFUL DEATH, ENVIRONMENTAL TORTS, NEGLIGENT SECURITY AND APPEALS.
Andrew K. O’Connell is a Partner at Murphy Falcon & Murphy, where he crafts complex litigation strategies on behalf of a wide range of clients, including multi-national corporations, real estate investors and victims of mass torts. His practice focuses on all aspects of litigation, including research and drafting, pretrial motions, deposing fact and expert witnesses, crafting discovery plans and trial.
Mr. O’Connell has appealed cases before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit as well as Maryland’s Court of Appeals and Court of Special Appeals. Notable appellate work includes Price, et al. v. Murdy, et al. (violation of Maryland’s Consumer Loan Law), Beall v. Holloway-Johnson (wrongful death) and Whitaker v. Whitaker (contested land installment contract under Maryland’s Real Property Article).
Before Murphy Falcon & Murphy, Mr. O’Connell was a Member of Thomas & Libowitz, P.A., where he focused his practice on construction defect claims, mechanics’ lien claims, real estate litigation and wage and hour claims. Mr. O’Connell was also a senior associate attorney at Cowie and Mott, P.A., where he litigated construction defect claims on behalf of condominium associations, commercial property owners and homeowners located in the greater Baltimore-Washington area.
EDUCATION AND BAR ADMISSIONS:
- Providence College (B.A., cum laude, 1996)
- University of Maryland School of Law (J.D., 2000)
- Maryland Court of Appeals, 2001
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 2019
- In 2018, Mr. O’Connell won a jury verdict totaling $6.6 million against St. Louis based developers of real property located in Baltimore County now known as Trade Point Atlantic. Mr. O’Connell brought claims on behalf of his client in the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland for violation of Maryland’s Wage Payment and Collection Law as well as other causes of action.
- In 2016, Mr. O’Connell obtained a pre-answer dismissal of a lawsuit filed against a closely held LLC and its members sued for breaching an agreement to purchase a retail business, allowing the client to avoid further costly legal expenses.
- In 2014, Mr. O’Connell obtained a $3 million settlement on behalf of his client in a strongly contested negligent security/premises liability case involving a shooting at a tavern.
- In 2013, Mr. O’Connell successfully defended one of the world’s largest software companies after an email hacking scandal, allowing the client to avoid a judgment in a $100 million lawsuit.
- In 2012, Mr. O’Connell won a $3.5 million jury verdict in a wrongful death action against a Baltimore City Police Officer following an unauthorized, high-speed chase.