Posted in News on November 20, 2017
Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when this odorless, colorless gas builds up inside a car or home, leading to flu-like symptoms and eventually can result in coma or death. Each year, about 400 people die in the United States from carbon monoxide poisoning, with an additional 4,000 hospitalized. Infants, the elderly, and those with chronic heart or lung problems are at the greatest risk.
Carbon monoxide fumes develop whenever fuel is burned in furnaces, grills, engines, stoves, lanterns, fireplaces, and gas ranges. When this gas is not properly ventilated, it is inhaled by people and animals in the environment. Because this gas cannot be smelled or seen, those who are sleeping may die from carbon monoxide poisoning without alert.
People with carbon monoxide poisoning typically exhibit flu-like symptoms, including headache, weakness, dizziness, upset stomach, nausea, vomiting, and chest pain. They may also experience confusion. Breathing too much of the gas leads to unconsciousness. Severe brain damage can ensue if exposure continues.
The best way to protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning is by using a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector. Any fuel-burning appliances should be serviced each year by a qualified technician. Gas appliances must be vented properly and chimneys cleaned every year. Never burn charcoal or use a portable camp stove indoors.
Have your car’s exhaust system checked every year by a professional mechanic. Never run your car or truck inside the garage if your garage is attached to your home. Taking these preventive measures can keep dangerous carbon monoxide from building up in your living space.
If you or a family member has been injured by carbon monoxide poisoning due to someone else’s negligence, consult the qualified Baltimore personal injury lawyers at Murphy Falcon Murphy. Our experienced personal injury lawyers can help advocate for your rights.
Ready to seek justice? Call us today.