Carbon Monoxide Causes Death of Father and 7 Children in Somerset County, Maryland
When his power was shot off, Todd bought a generator. Now, Todd and his kids are dead from suspected carbon monoxide from the generator. According to authorities, it appears the entire family died in their sleep. When the landlord unlocked the door, police found Todd and his children in sleeping positions. The power was off in the house and the generator was out of gas. Power cords all over the house lead to the generator.
Todd's mother, Bonnie Edwards said her son was trying to be a good father to his children after he received custody and did the best he could.
This heartbreaking tragedy reminds us all about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. Generators and other similar motors are known to produce carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer because it is colorless and odorless. It kills without warning. Signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include disorientation, dizziness, slurred speech, loss of consciousness, weakness, nausea and vomiting, among other things.
When these symptoms are noticed, it is extremely important to seek fresh air and immediate medical assistance. Timely oxygen therapy may be key to preventing permanent brain injury and even death. Families should make sure that carbon monoxide detectors are installed in the home.
On this sad day, our hearts go out to Todd and his children. May they all rest in peace.