Towson Gynecologist Dr. John Yacoub under Investigation for Photographing Patients
It is presently unclear how many photos were found and how they were taken. If you were a patient of Dr. John Yacoub, you may wish to speak with a lawyer about your legal rights. In the meantime, here is what you should know about this ongoing investigation:
• Dr. Yacoub practiced gynecology in the Baltimore and Towson areas for 30 years at both the Greater Baltimore Medical Center and St. Agnes Hospital. According to his lawyers, he has seen over 10,000 patients and has delivered approximately 5,000 babies.
• An investigation was launched in December 2012 after a staff member reported that Dr. Yacoub kept large quantities of controlled dangerous substances (CDS) in his office. Dr. Yacoub was subsequently terminated from a hospital for failing to comply with storage procedures for CDS. The federal Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) was concurrently brought in.
• In June 2013, Dr. Yacoub was prompted by the Maryland Board of Physicians to take a drug test. Results revealed that he had ingested cocaine within at least 90 days of the test.
• In September 2013, the DEA raided Dr. Yacoub's home where they found CDS and graphic images of female genitalia on his cell phone. Many of these images also depicted a gloved hand or medical device nearby.
• During the raid, the DEA also found cocaine residue on Dr. Yacoub's kitchen table. Dr. Yacoub admitted to snorting cocaine off of the table the prior evening. At that time, he was still a practicing gynecologist at a hospital.
• On October 8, 2013, the Maryland Board of Physicians suspended Dr. Yacoub's license. You can read the Order of Summary Suspension here. Much of the information outlined in this post is further detailed in the Order.
• Dr. Yacoub's lawyers maintain that the photos were taken with his patients' informed consent and that they are "medical pictures."
Following his suspension, many patients have chosen to contact lawyers to learn about their legal rights moving forward. If you or a family member are a former patient of Dr. Yacoub, please contact an attorney at Murphy, Falcon & Murphy today. Our team of lawyers has decades of experience representing patients whose rights have been compromised by medical professionals. As a result of our efforts, we have secured numerous multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements on their behalf.
We will continue to monitor this investigation and post updates as they occur.
The information in this article is intended as general information only and not as specific legal advice. This article contains references to various matters that have been handled by Murphy, Falcon & Murphy. The results portrayed in those matters were dependent upon the facts of those particular cases, and results will differ if based on different facts. This article also contains references to past and present clients. Such references are not intended to be testimonials or endorsements of Murphy, Falcon & Murphy, and they do not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter.